Saturday, January 14, 2012

Primal Philly Cheese Steak Pizza

I found this incredible pizza crust recipe and knew I wanted to give it a try. I made the crust according to the recipe, but I put my own spin on the toppings and went with a philly cheese steak style.

Ingredients:
(I don't usually use exact measurements.)
one green bell pepper, diced
half on onion, diced
some steak, cut into tiny bite sized pieces
organic marinara sauce (I got mine at Trader Joe's)
Forgive the awful cell phone pictures. I couldn't find my camera.

I precooked these toppings by sauteing them in a pan together over high heat until the onion and peppers were slightly soft.

After taking the crust out of the oven I realized it was slightly over done around the edge, but the center was still a little soft. Next time I will probably bake it at 400 instead of 425 and watch it closely.

I slathered on a little marinara sauce, threw the toppings on, then a little mozzarella cheese. Then put it under the broiler for a minute or two to melt the cheese. This was agony for me because I could see the edges of the crust getting darker and darker, but I knew the cheese needed to be melted.


When all was said and done this pizza was yummy! The burnt edges were actually pretty tasty too. I'm looking forward to trying it again with different toppings.

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing Ashley! I love the topping combo, never would've thought of that. If you put a ring of foil loosely over the crust it saves it from overcooking. Or saves burnt things from getting more burnt. :) Can't wait to try it. This glu-tard loves her pizza! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'll have to try that. Also, you could (if its a problem in the future) throw foil or pie crust protectors over the edges, as well :)

    ReplyDelete