Thursday, December 8, 2011

Why Primal?

"Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." -Hippocrates
There are lots of reasons I decided to make Primal a part of my life. The most significant is my health, my husband's and our future children's. 


I took baby steps that lead me to become Primal. A month or so ago I decided I was going to take control of what my family was eating. We started eating whole foods again. Then I signed up to receive weekly shipments of organic produce from Full Circle (amazing company!!). That was the best thing I could have done. Having the produce here in the house has given me the motivation to actually try and finish it before the next order shows up. I've even had to up our order size because we were going through it so quickly. Anyway, back to the point. We were eating a whole foods diet again. Whole grains, organic produce, meat, etc. Then my sister in-law posted a link to Mark's Daily Apple on facebook, something I saw there made me stop and think. Mark Sisson writes: "Our modern Western diet bears little resemblance to the eating habits of early humans throughout 100,000+ years of evolutionary history. Instead, since the agricultural revolution some mere 10,000 years ago, we’ve adopted a nutritional regime that our physiology wasn't and still isn’t adequately adapted to. When the basics of our diet return to the patterns of our pre-agricultural ancestors, we’re operating with, instead of against, our natural physiology. More simply: eat as our ancestors ate, and we'll be healthier for it." (I listed this same quote in another post in case you're wondering why it sounds familiar.) My sister in-law had been posting things about Primal for awhile and I hadn't been super interested. I could tell it was working for her, but until I took the time to read into what she was really doing it didn't occur to me how life changing this could be. It's only been a week and I've already lost 4 pounds and I feel so much better!


Tommy (my husband) has a history of diabetes in his family. And to be honest the way Tommy likes to eat made me fear he was headed down that path later in life. Mind you, Tommy hasn't fully dedicated himself to a Primal lifestyle and frankly I don't think he will. However, he eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner the way I prepare it and our house is completely Primal friendly. Tommy has to make the conscious decision to seek out something sugary and/or made from grain. Even if it's not a 100% commitment I know this difference in diet will greatly impact his health. In one week he has already lost 2 pounds!


People have told me that eating this way is too expensive. Think about this, Dr. Terry Wahls said, "...you are going to pay the price. You will pay the price now for food that restores your health and vitality or you will pay the price for doctors visits, prescription drugs, surgeries, missed time from work, early retirement, and nursing home care. The choice is yours." Watch her presentation here. It's an 18 minute video that could change the way you view food entirely. I strongly recommend everyone watch this! The benefits of a healthy life completely outweigh the extra costs. 


I made the choice to be healthier and happier for myself and my loved ones. :)



1 comment: