Thursday, December 1, 2011

Coffee Creamer

I was going over somethings with my dear husband that he and I are going to be cutting out of our diets. Tommy just couldn't give up his morning cup of coffee with flavored creamer. Have you ever read the ingredients list in that stuff?? The closest thing to actual milk in it is a "milk derivative."

This is the ingredients list from Coffee Mate French Vanilla flavor. INGREDIENTS: WATER, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM, COLOR ADDED, CARRAGEENAN.  Nasty!!

So, I started googling. Now, primal allows for coffee and dairy in moderation. I figured if he can't give up the flavored creamer I'd figure something else out. Something that's not full of a bunch of stuff I've never heard of. 

Ta da! Let me just tell you this creamer is pretty freaking yummy and you can add all sorts of stuff to make different flavors. Next time I'll probably do cinnamon or peppermint.

Vanilla Coffee Creamer
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 tbsp maple syrup

1 vanilla bean

Add milk, heavy cream, and maple syrup to a cool sauce pan. Slice vanilla bean with a knife down one side and scrape the seeds. Whisk in seeds and bean pod to the milk mixture. Heat on medium low, stirring frequently, until steaming. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in a glass container in refrigerator.




No comments:

Post a Comment